Sunday, August 8, 2010

RWA: Readers with Attitude

With our recent move, I've been unable to blog and now that I'm finding some free time here and there, I'm feeling overwhelmed with the backlog of things to blog about! So I'm going to try to stick to short posts and post more often until I'm caught up. Let's see how it goes...

We weren't in Iowa City for long but while we were there we feel in love with the public library.


I know, you're thinking, "a library?!?" I thought the same thing. People told us how great it was when we first got to Iowa, but I didn't believe them. But this library is unlike any public library I've seen before. I can't even begin to adequately describe their selection of books, cds, dvds, video games, children's toys, preschool kits, etc. which were all FREE to check out, AND in really good condition. Marc and I were able to watch Japanese and Korean films that most video stores don't even carry, and Kyle couldn't get enough of their collection of kids graphic novels. And the programs! Every year they have a "Big Read," where the entire community is invited to read the same book (this year it was Fahrenheit 451) and the library gives everyone a free copy of the book and hosts discussion groups and guest speakers. The children's programs were the best I've attended and include music, storytime, arts & crafts, and puppet shows, to name a few, and are even broadcast on a local public TV channel for comfortable viewing from home. (This comes in very handy when it is 10 below outside and you don't dare leave the house.)

When the boys finished their summer reading challenges, in addition to a free, new book and other prizes, they got these cool (and slightly intimidating) tattoos:


Readaz with attitude!


I'm glad that the tattoos (and the attitudes) were temporary, but I can honestly say that I wish our time in Iowa City was not. We already miss the friends we made there and the places around town that made it feel like home. I don't know if we'll ever get back, but if not, we'll always have the library...

2 comments:

naomi said...

the boys are looking pretty bad ass with their ink! :)

Amy said...

and we miss you!!!!!! i'm sure the library does too. ;)