Saturday, September 12, 2009

Scout's Honor


Guess who's a brand-new cub scout?

Cub Scout Motto: DO YOUR BEST!





TA-DA!!!

Now in Theaters: "Akela and the Wolves"
[Akela (a-kay-lah): scouting term for leader]


Betcha didn't see THAT coming! Well, neither did I. Kyle doesn't start Scouts for another next year, so I was speechless when I was asked to be the Assistant Den Leader. (Okay, so I was only speechless for a moment...)

My jaw-dropping surprise was second only to a letter I received last year from Provo Parks and Recreation. The letter opened by sincerely thanking me for volunteering to be the coach for Kyle's flag football team. Further down it read:

"If you didn't offer to coach, but said that you'd be willing to be an assistant, (because you are too nice), then you are receiving this letter because nobody else volunteered (because they knew better). Congratulations! (ha-ha!) Please come to the coaches meeting, August 9th at 6pm for orientation." (Parentheses added for sarcasm.)


Did I mention that the letter arrived August 9th at 2pm?



The Provo Red Hawks: A Motley Crew


As you can see, I took the coaching job and had a great time doing it. My guess is that this cub scout stint will be just as fun and fulfilling. I'm gonna "DO MY BEST!"



5 comments:

Karen E. said...

You totally got me on that one--I fully expected to see Kyle in a cub scout uniform! But I'm sure you will make a great cub scout yourself!

Seamore Tomato said...

You got me. I thought that you were going to say that you'd signed Kyle up for the Tiger scouts. I'm sure that you'll do great!

And I love that you coached his team. D coaches whenever he can and the kids just love him.

Brett and Ui said...

Nice uniform! I love it! (I dont know what your talking about, you know the whole baby lb. thing..you look great!) I know that you will "Do your Best" and you will have a blast doing it! Enjoy. Love you!

SeeCampbell said...

Oh man, I'm getting scared now. I keep thinking they are lining me up for that one too. I think I need to have another baby and claim insanity so I won't get that calling. You're going to be awesome!!!!

Anonymous said...

I had that gig for a while and I liked the part of doing fun activities with the boys. (The scouting bureaucracy and some dysfunction amongst the cub leadership made things a little less fun, but, again, at least I enjoyed the boys.)